Goal- The goal for the lesson is to keep the students engaged throughout the whole
lesson so that
they will succeed in learning how to solve multistep equations . Students need
to understand the
concept of combining like terms .
Learning Objectives- 1) The students will be able to use proper vocabulary and speech working
2) The students will be able to understand that you can only combine like terms
and why that is.
3) The students will be able to solve multi-step equations.
4) The students will be able to see the connection as how solving one step
equations are similar
to solving multi step equations.
Purpose- 1) 7.A.4 Solve multi-step equations by combining like terms, using the
distributive property , or
moving variables to one side of the equation
2) 7.PS.8 Understand how to break a complex problem into simpler parts or use a
problem type to solve a problem
3) 7.RP.2 Use mathematical strategies to reach a conclusion
4) 7.CM.9 Increase their use of mathematical vocabulary and language when
Procedure- 1) Students come in and work on problems solving one step equations for an
2) Students are shown what it means to combine like terms and why you do this.
3) Students are shown how to solve multi step equations.
4) Students are given examples to work on in class. Each question is posted and
are given time to answer. It will be true/false and multiple choice questions.
The students will answer
using the iclicker so that student understanding is observed easily.
Modifications- 1) May have to make print outs of example questions done in class for visual
2) Partner/ Group work if some students are incapable of working with iclicker.
3) Additional time enabled for students who need the extra help and don’t grasp
understanding of material.
4) More time enabled for students that need more time solving the examples and
answers in with the iclicker.
Start solving your Algebra Problems
in next 5 minutes!
Download (and optional CD)
Click to Buy Now:
2Checkout.com is an authorized reseller
of goods provided by Sofmath
Attention: We are
currently running a special promotional offer
for Algebra-Answer.com visitors -- if you order
Algebra Helper by midnight of
you will pay only $39.99
instead of our regular price of $74.99 -- this is $35 in
savings ! In order to take advantage of this
offer, you need to order by clicking on one of
the buttons on the left, not through our regular
If you order now you will also receive 30 minute live session from tutor.com for a 1$!
You Will Learn Algebra Better - Guaranteed!
Just take a look how incredibly simple Algebra Helper is:
: Enter your homework problem in an easy WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) algebra editor:
Step 2 :
Let Algebra Helper solve it:
Step 3 : Ask for an explanation for the steps you don't understand:
Algebra Helper can solve problems in all the following areas:
simplification of algebraic expressions (operations
with polynomials (simplifying, degree, synthetic division...), exponential expressions, fractions and roots
(radicals), absolute values)