1. Identify the characteristics of a quadratic function (i.e., vertex , axis of
symmetry, and direction of concavity).
2. Compute roots/ zeroes of a polynomial function by factoring techniques.
3. Estimate the roots/zeroes of a polynomial function.
4. Solve polynomial inequalities.
5. Solve systems of linear equations using matrices and determinants.
6. Solve systems of linear inequalities .
7. Solve systems of non-linear equations.
8. Simplify rational expressions using thedivision algorithm .
9. Identify points of discontinuity of a rational function.
10. Identify vertical/horizontal asymptotes and end behavior of rational
11.Solve rational inequalities.
Power Functions and Models
12.Solve radical equations and equations with fractional exponents.
13. Identify the domain, range of power functions; determine if the function has
inverse. Find the inverse and its domain and range, if appropriate.
14.Define exponential and logarithmic functions.
15.Simplify exponential and logarithmic expressions using their properties
16.Solve exponential and logarithmic equations.
17. Formulate and apply exponential and logarithmic functions to a contextual
It is expected that the following student learning outcomes
(Characteristics of Functions) will be embedded as appropriate in the study
of the family of functions listed above.
• Identify the domain and range of a function.
• Determine intervals on which functions are decreasing/increasing,
continuous/non-continuous, or piecewise.
• Formulate and apply a function to a contextual situation.
• Determine the conditions under which a function has an inverse.
• Identify the inverse of a function from multiple representations.
• Reformulate a given function into various representations (i.e., verbal,
graphical, algebraic, or tabular).
Class Schedule – Math140
Truman College – Spring 2009
Information and Policies
Introduction to MML
Using the TI-83/84 Graphical Calculator (See Appendix B page AP-4 –
Review ~ Introduction to Functions and Graphs
1.1 Numbers, Data, and Problem Solving
1.2 Data Trends: Visualization of Data
1.3 Functions and Their Representations
1.4 Types of Functions and Their Rates of Change Chapter Review
2.1 Linear Functions and Models
2.2 Equations of Lines
2.3 Linear Equations
2.4 Linear Inequalities
2.5 Piecewise-Defined Functions Chapter Review
Exam #1 (will cover Chapters 1 and 2)
3.1 Quadratic Concepts: Functions and Models
3.2 Quadratic Equations and Problem Solving
3.3 Quadratic Inequalities
3.4 Transformation of Functions Chapter Review
4.1 Nonlinear Functions and Their Graphs
4.2 Polynomial Functions and Models
Exam #2 (will cover Chapter 3)
4.3 Real Zeros of Polynomial Functions
4.4 The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Non-Real
Roots of a Polynomial Equation
4.5 Rational functions and models
4.6 Polynomial and Rational Inequalities
4.6 Polynomial and Rational Inequalities
4.7 Power Functions and Radical Equations Chapter Review
5.1 Combining Function
Exam #3 (will cover Chapter 4)
5.2 Inverse Functions
5.3 Exponential Functions
5.4 Logarithmic Functions
5.5 Properties of Logarithms
5.6 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
NO SCHOOL - SPRING BREAK
5.7 Constructing Nonlinear Models Chapter Review
6.1 Functions and Equations in Two Variables
6.2 Systems of Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables
Start solving your Algebra Problems
in next 5 minutes!
Download (and optional CD)
Click to Buy Now:
2Checkout.com is an authorized reseller
of goods provided by Sofmath
Attention: We are
currently running a special promotional offer
for Algebra-Answer.com visitors -- if you order
Algebra Helper by midnight of
you will pay only $39.99
instead of our regular price of $74.99 -- this is $35 in
savings ! In order to take advantage of this
offer, you need to order by clicking on one of
the buttons on the left, not through our regular
If you order now you will also receive 30 minute live session from tutor.com for a 1$!
You Will Learn Algebra Better - Guaranteed!
Just take a look how incredibly simple Algebra Helper is:
: Enter your homework problem in an easy WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) algebra editor:
Step 2 :
Let Algebra Helper solve it:
Step 3 : Ask for an explanation for the steps you don't understand:
Algebra Helper can solve problems in all the following areas:
simplification of algebraic expressions (operations
with polynomials (simplifying, degree, synthetic division...), exponential expressions, fractions and roots
(radicals), absolute values)